School Site Council
Our School Site Council (SSC) meets once a month at 10:30 am.at Black Diamond Career center.
All are welcome to attend, please look for our quarterly newsletters that are mailed home. The meeting date/time is posted in the monthly newsletter. Please join us to receive updates about our program.
School Site Council BYLAWS
School Site Council BYLAWS
Duties of the School Site Council
The school site council of Pittsburg High School, hereinafter referred to as the school site council, shall carry out the following duties:
- Obtain recommendations for, and review of the proposed Single Plan for Student Achievement from all school advisory committees.
- Develop and approve the plan and related expenditures in accordance with all state and federal laws and regulations.
- Recommend the plan and expenditures to the governing board for approval.
- Provide ongoing review of the implementation of the plan with the principal, teachers and other school staff members.
- Make modifications to the plan whenever the need arises.
- Submit the modified plan for governing board approval whenever a material change (as defined in district governing board policy) is made in planned activities or related expenditures.
- Annually, (and at each semester, trimester, etc), evaluate the progress made toward school goals to raise the academic achievement of all students.
- Carry out all other duties assigned to the school site council by the district governing board and by state law.
Every two years, a School Advisory Committee (SAC), required under the Economic Impact Aid-State Compensatory Education (EIA-SCE) Program may elect to have the School Site Council serve as the site leadership body for this program. The School Site Council will assist the principal and staff to:
- Develop a detailed school plan for low income, educationally disadvantages, and English Learner students as a part of the Single Plan for Students Achievement that is submitted to the local board of education.
- Annually evaluate the effectiveness of the EIA-SCE program.
- Monitor the implementation of the EIA-SCE program.
- Carry out all other duties assigned to the committee by the district governing board, District Advisory Committee (DAC), and state or federal law.
- Select a representative, if appropriate, to the DAC.
Section A: Composition
The school site council shall be composed of 24 members selected by their peers. Half of the representation on the council shall be from the school staff. This half of the council will include:
- 1 Principal
- 7 Classroom teachers (NOTE: Classroom teachers shall constitute the majority of those persons representing the school staff.)
- 4 Other school staff members
Half of the representation on the council shall include:
- __ Parents or community members
Half of the representation on the council shall be evenly distributed between:
- 6 Parents or community members
- 6 Students
School site council members chosen to represent parents may be employees of the school district so long as they are not employed at this school.
Section B: Term of Office
School site council members shall be elected for 2 year terms. Half, or the nearest approximation thereof, of each representative group shall be elected during odd years, and the remaining number elected during even years. At the first regular meeting of the school site council, each member's current term of office shall be recorded in the minutes of the meeting.
At the end of each representative member’s term, membership terminates. In order to continue to serve as a council member, the member must be re-selected by the appropriate representative group.
Section C: Selection/Election of Members
- Elections of council members shall be held each year in September.
- Annually, the School Site Council will establish an Election Committee composed of a teacher, other school personnel, a parent and a student, if appropriate, to oversee the election of council members.
- Election Committee: The duties of the committee shall be to work with the principal to supervise the election procedure, to unseal and count ballots and to declare elected representatives on the basis of the election procedure.
Section D: Voting Rights
Each member is entitled to one vote and may cast that vote on any matter submitted to a vote of the school site council. Absentee ballots shall not be permitted.
An alternate representative may not cast a vote in the absence of the selected member. The role of alternate is for information collection only.
Section E: Termination of Membership
The school site council may, by an affirmative vote of two-thirds of all its members, suspend or expel a member. Any elected member may terminate his or her membership by submitting a written letter of resignation to the school site council chairperson.
Section F: Transfer of Membership
Membership on the school site council may not be assigned or transferred.
Section G: Resignation
Any Council member may terminate his or her membership by submitting a written letter of resignation to the Council chairperson.
Section H: Vacancy
Any vacancy on the school site council occurring during the term of a duly elected member shall be filled by seating of a previously elected alternate member to fill the remainder of the term of the vacant seat.
Section A: Officers
The officers of the school site council shall be a chairperson, vice-chairperson, secretary, and other officers the school site council may deem desirable.
The chairperson shall:
- Preside at all meetings of the school site council.
- Sign all letters, reports and other communications of the school site council.
- Perform all duties incident to the office of the chairperson.
- Have other such duties as are prescribed by the school site council.
The vice-chairperson shall:
- Represent the chairperson in assigned duties.
- Substitute for the chairperson in his or her absence.
The secretary shall:
- Keep minutes of all regular and special meetings of the school site council.
- Transmit true and correct copies of the minutes of such meetings to members of the school site council and district representative.
- Provide all notices in accordance with these bylaws.
- Be custodian of the records of the school site council.
- Keep a register of the names, addresses and telephone numbers of each member of the school site council, the chairpersons of school advisory committees, and others with whom the school site council has regular dealings, as furnished by those persons.
- Perform other such duties as are assigned by the chairperson or the school site council.
Section B: Election and Terms of Office
The officers shall be elected annually and shall serve for one year, or until each successor has been elected.
Any member of the Council, including the principal, may serve in any officer capacity.
Section C: Removal of Officers
Officers may be removed from office by a two-thirds vote of all the members.
Section D: Vacancy
A vacancy in any office shall be filled at the earliest opportunity by a special election of the school site council, for the remaining portion of the term of office.
Section A: Subcommittees
The school site council may establish and abolish subcommittees of its own membership to perform duties as shall be prescribed by the school site council. At least one member representing teachers and one member representing parents shall make up the subcommittee. No subcommittee may exercise the authority of the school site council.
Section B: Other Standing and Special Committees
The school site council may establish and abolish standing or special committees with such composition and to perform such duties as shall be prescribed by the school site council. No such committee may exercise the authority of the school site council.
Section B: Standing and Special Committee Membership
Unless otherwise determined by the school site council, the school site council chairperson shall appoint members of standing or special committees. A vacancy on a committee shall be filled by appointment made by the chairperson.
Section C: Standing and Special Committee Terms of Office
The school site council shall determine the terms of office for members of a committee.
Section D: Standing and Special Committee Rules
Each committee may adopt rules for its own government not inconsistent with these bylaws or rules adopted by the school site council, or policies of the district governing board.
Section E: Standing and Special Committee Quorum
A majority of the members of the committee shall constitute a quorum, unless otherwise determined by the school site council. The act of a majority of the members present shall be the act of the committee, provided a quorum is in attendance.
Meetings of the School Site Council
Section A: Meetings
The school site council shall meet regularly each month. Special meetings of the school site council may be called by the chairperson or by a majority vote of the school site council.
Section B: Place of Meetings
The school site council shall hold its regular meetings at a facility provided by the school, unless such a facility accessible to the public, including handicapped persons, is unavailable. Alternate meeting places may be determined by the chairperson or by majority vote of the school site council.
Section C: Notice of Meetings
Written public notice shall be given of all meetings at least 72 hours in advance of the meeting. This notice shall specify the date, time, and location of the meeting, and contain an agenda describing each item of business to be discussed or acted upon. Any changes in the established date, time or location shall be given special notice.
All required notices shall be delivered to school site council and committee members no less than 72 hours, and no more than 10 days in advance of the meeting, personally or by mail (or by e-mail).
Section D: Quorum
The presence of 51% of the Council membership in attendance will constitute a quorum. No decisions of the Council shall be valid unless a quorum of the membership is present.
Section E: Conduct of Meetings
Meetings of the school site council shall be conducted in accordance with the rules of order established by Education Code Section 3147(c), and with Robert's Rules of Order or an adaptation thereof approved by the school site council.
Section F: Meetings Open to the Public
All meetings of the school site council, and of committees established by the school site council, shall be open to the public. Notice of such meetings shall be provided in accordance with Section C of this article.
Section G: Uniform Complaint Procedures
Annually, the School Site Council shall participate in training about the district’s Uniform Complaint Procedures. This training will review procedures for filing a complaint. If any School Site Council member or member of the public believes that the School Site Council has taken an action that is in violation of their legal authority, the individual or group may file a uniform complaint form with the district.
An amendment of these bylaws may be made at any regular meeting of the school site council by a vote of two-thirds of the members present. Written notice of the proposed amendment must be submitted to school site council members at least 5 days prior to the meeting at which the amendment is to be considered for adoption.